Application Dates & Deadlines

The Fall 2019 Honors application is now closed

While we do have deadlines specified below, please send us your essay as soon as possible.

Your response will go to either (1) the email account linked to your U-M application, if you have not yet decided, or (2) your umich.edu account, if you have accepted U-M's invitation.

January 8, 2019 – All applications received by 11:59pm (Eastern Time Zone) on this date will have a decision sent out via email on January 31, 2019. In your notification, you will fall into one of 3 decision categories: admit, defer, or deny.  

February 5, 2019 - All applications received after January 8, 2019 but by 11:59pm (Eastern Time Zone) on this date will have a decision sent out via email by 11pm on February 28, 2019. In your notification, you will fall into one of 3 decision categories: admit, defer, or deny.    

March 5, 2019 - All applications received after February 5, 2019 but by 11:59pm (Eastern Time Zone) on this date will have a decision sent out via email by 11pm on March 28, 2019. In your notification, you will fall into one of 3 decision categories: admit, defer, or deny.  

April 9, 2019 - All applications received after March 5, 2019 but by 11:59pm (Eastern Time Zone) on this date will have a decision sent out via email by 11pm on April 23, 2019. In your notification, you will fall into one of 2 decision categories: admit or deny. We will not accept applications for admission into Honors for Fall 2019 after April 9th.

In your notification, you will fall into one of 3 decision categories: admit, defer, or deny. If your decision is a defer, you will be notified by 11pm on April 23, 2019 at the latest, to inform you of our final decision. 

May 1, 2019—If we admit you into Honors on or prior to April 23, 2019 you must confirm by May 1, 2018 that you plan to join the Program. 

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I apply to Honors?
You must be admitted to the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA) prior to applying to the Honors Program. You do not, however, need to decide if you are attending U-M before applying. We encourage you to apply as soon as you are admitted to LSA, as we are a space-limited program. Application dates are posted on your left.

How do I apply?
You will apply by completing the essay questions on the Apply Here page. The application consists of two brief essays. Be creative—we want to see how your mind works!

Do I need to be invited?
Any student who is admitted to U-M LSA may apply to Honors. Some randomly selected students will receive a letter outlining the Honors Program and welcoming them to apply. It is not necessary to wait for such a letter, nor does it imply preferential admittance.

I am applying to Ross School of Business. Should I apply to Honors?
If you have expressed interest in another school or college in your U-M application, we will admit you to Honors only if it is clear that you also have significant interest in the fields that are studied in LSA.

How many students apply?
Our application reviewers read more than 1900 essays to fill an incoming class of approximately 450-500 students.

Should I apply if I'm not sure I'm attending U-M?
We strongly urge you to apply to Honors even before you know that you are going to come to U-M. That way it is likely that you will be able to base your decision, in part, on whether or not you are in Honors.

Is it possible to complete a joint degree with LSA and another U-M school?

Yes! Several special degree programs are offered by the joint cooperation of LSA and other colleges or schools within the University. You will want to work with your Honors Academic Advisor to discuss your options.

When will I hear if I am accepted into Honors? Can my parents call for me?

Refer to the application date guidelines on the left for a reply timeline. If you do not receive a reply and have a record of submitting your essay, use the "Contact Us" quick link below. Due to our regulatory compliance with FERPA, Honors cannot notify parents of acceptance or discuss the status of a student's application with a parent.

QUICK LINKS: